Peace X Peace, Washington DC, USA
|Peace X Peace, Washington DC, USA|
|Street address:||1776 I Street NW, 9th Floor|
|State or Province:||DC|
|Location coordinates:||38° 54' 4" N, 77° 2' 29" W|
|Executive Director:||Kimberly Weichel|
|Organization type:||International NGO (operating in multiple countries)|
|Sectors:||Economic Empowerment, Empowerment, Gender Discrimination, Peace and Conflict|
|Number of staff:||5|
Peace X Peace lifts women's voices, strengthen women's capacity to connect across divides, promote leadership and gender equity, and nurture a global network of peacebuilders.
Peace X Peace began in 2002 when Patricia Smith Melton, a poet, playwright, film maker, and photographer, gathered six experts in peace and women’s rights from around the world to discuss how they might respond as women to the violence of 9/11/2001. The organization was incorporated as a 501(c )(3) nonprofit to connect women internationally to build peace. It launched a website and an online news service and began connecting women, across geographic and cultural divides, via the internet.
In 2010, our expanding community includes women and men in more than 100 nations. Kimberly Weichel serves as our CEO and Founder Patricia Smith Melton is an active member of the Board of Directors.
Peace X Peace Programs:
- E-media: Our monthly e-newsletter and weekly blogs show how women are building peace to our nearly 20,000 subscribers worldwide. We seek insightful and personal contributions from women working for peace on the frontlines all over the world. If you have a contributions please send them to email@example.com
- Connection Point: To facilitate dialogue and increase understanding between Arab and Muslim women with Western women, we have launched Connection Point, a platform where Arab/Muslim and Western women can engage in ongoing conversations.
- Advocacy: We advocate for effective, sustained policies and programs that support and advance women. We are part of a civil society coalition that provides recommendations to the US Government National Action Plan for Women, Peace and Security.
- UN Collaboration: We collaborate with the newly formed UN Women and on UN initiatives for women, including the Commission on the Status of Women, and the Millennium Development Goals.
- Women, Power and Peace Awards: Our annual Peace Awards honor extraordinary women and men on the frontlines of peacebuilding. Our Awards program will be held in late Fall in Washington DC. Watch for future emails re date and honorees.
- Other media: Our book Sixty Years, Sixty Voices: Israeli and Palestinian Women and our documentary Women on the Frontlines show women's peace power, concretely, creatively, and effectively. Our new video series called CATALYST: Israeli and Palestinian Women, will be lauched in later July.