Vikasini, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Vikasini, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Street address:||Flat No 11 Deepti Apts., S.P. Road Secunderabad 500003|
|State or Province:||Andhra Pradesh|
|Location coordinates:||17° 2' 52" N, 80° 5' 53" E|
|Executive Director:||Meenakshi Subramaniam|
|Organization type:||National NGO (operating countrywide or advocating at the national level)|
|Sectors:||Arts, Education, Empowerment, Leadership, Sports|
Vikasini wants to ensure equal opportunities for the girl children marginalized by caste, class and gender, where they will imbibe basic principles of integrity and social commitment.
Thus Vikasini Girls School, Addagutta, Secunderabad was born on 15th March 2002 with two children and now has 87. It was not only tailored to the needs of the community people of Addagutta but went beyond. The girls there not only get free education, but also free school dresses, a health drink of milk and Horlicks and wholesome mid day meal. Pediatricians, dentists and ophthalmologists come in on a regular basis to conduct health check ups. The second Vikasini opened in August 2005 in Altafnagar, Hubli, Karnataka with 20 children and by 2006 June has a total of 50. Akshaya Patra Foundation which is a collaborative effort of Infosys Foundation, the Karnataka government and ISKCON supplies the mid day meal. There is a good team of teachers, childcare assistants and cooks. Mothers come for monthly parent teacher meets to monitor the child’s progress. Mothers also take turns to contribute peanut and jaggery and make candy for their children’s nutrition or stitching the school dresses.
Vikasini has brought untold joy in the lives of the eager little girls in the two slums. It is the dawn of a new hope and future that spells great change and prosperity to the girls who were other wise condemned to the grind of every day toil and tyranny of life in the slum. True to its name it has helped the children blossom.
Vikasini believes creative education is as important as studies. The children of the kindergarten to class 4 have sports activities once a week. The older children have craft classes where they learn embroidery and painting. A local cricket coach comes in to teach the interested girls cricket once a week. The children go on excursions in order to learn while having fun. They learn vocal music and dance whenever someone volunteers to teach them.
Missionto work towards the development of deprived and marginalized sections of the Indian girl children, both in rural and urban areas with the aim of enabling all girl children from the most deprived sections of society exercise their birthright to education, which is important to help build a modern market based economy with enhanced information and knowledge in order to take better decisions about nutrition and healthcare on behalf of their families and contribute towards a constructive society.
- To actively promote and encourage girl child education among the deprived sections of people
- To bring the marginalized girl child into the mainstream educational system.
- To promote networking among schools set up by the Trust.
- To create equal opportunities for the girl child in the family as well as the society.
- To help build the physical, mental and emotional well being of the deprived sections of the girl children.
- To identify sincere, committed women who can facilitate the emergence of Vikasini schools in different parts of India.
- To build alliances with mainstream schools for taking on Vikasini students from the secondary school level and enable them pursue their education.
- To hold annual camps of students from Vikasini schools at a central place where there will be sharing and learning sessions.
- To hold community friendly gender sensitization programs at the community and societal levels
- To build broad based support for the work of the Trust by creating awareness of its aims and objectives.
- To generate funds / resources from a wide section of the people to help achieve the objectives of the Trust.
- To work in co-operation with other regional, national and international institutions in furtherance of our objectives.
- To ensure that all girl children belonging economically deprived sections in the areas where there is a Vikasini school, take the 7th Class Board examination.
- To carry out research and documentation of activities in the areas relevant to our work and objectives.